Acorn Aspirations in partnership with Global Entrepreneurship Week ran a 2-day hackathon/start-up style event where 100 young people aged 12-18 collaborated with mentors from the TechCity community to develop tech start-ups that solve social problems in their local communities and worldwide.
#AcornHack2016 aimed to unlock young people’s entrepreneurial potential by inspiring them to get creative with coding and digital technology, as well as attend masterclass workshops in digital marketing, branding, APIs, lean UX and Business Model Canvas.
The purpose of this event was to equip young people with the tools that would enable them to become change-makers and entrepreneurs of their own lives.
The following ideas were created at the hackathon:
1. Syper – a VR app to detect dyslexia
2. Links – a social collaboration platform for young people to kick start their future
3. Lease – a platform for customers to rent out unused items for specified time
4. Revi-C – an education platform for different styles of learning
5. LearnLink – a platform which makes revision easier by targeting weak areas
6. Study Bros. – an app that allows you to study while gaming
7. Cortex – a time management app
8. AIwars – a multiplayer game platform which teaches how to code
9. Titans – an app consisting of all trending games
10. Beleaf – helping small businesses go green by linking excess food to food banks/charities
11. HAB 11 – an app that allows teens to showcase their talents
12. Visualting – a multi-device and multi-technology that helps you learn in a style that suits you
13. Road to refuge – changing the face of refugee education through games
14. Nestr – a web app that helps refugees to solve their problems
15. The brainless devs – an educational VR game that makes learning fun and interactive
What is Global Entrepreneurship Week?
Global Entrepreneurship Week is the world’s largest celebration of the innovators and job creators who launch startups that bring ideas to life, drive economic growth, and expand human welfare.